PLEASE HELP THE HOMELESS ON CHRISTMAS EVE
My name is Lynn Farrell and I am a parishioner here at St. Giles. I coordinate an organization at St. Giles that feeds the homeless. We cook and serve dinner twice a month at San Jose Obrero Homeless Shelter in Chicago.
Over a decade ago we realized that the shelter had no Christmas celebration, so we began our Christmas Eve party for the homeless. It has been so well received that PADS asked us for assistance on Christmas Eve too. We will have two parties at two separate locations again this year!
Our party includes serving a hot turkey dinner with all the trimmings. We also provide a new sweater for every guest at the party. The St. Giles Cub Scouts and Girl Scouts make placemats; the students and parishioners bake cookies for dessert. It is a fabulous evening in the true spirit of Christmas.
We need your help to make this happen. Please consider purchasing a sweater, donating food or cooking on Christmas Eve. Please call or email me if you are willing to cook.
WHAT WE NEED
- About 100 newly purchased sweaters. Please purchase a sweater, wrap it and mark the outside of the box with the following: M (men), W (woman), XL, L, M, S. This will help us when we distribute the gifts. Please note that 90% of the people we serve are men, size L or XL. Please deliver gifts to the Parish Center by 5 pm on December 22.
- Turkey or Ham donations – drop them at my house by December 21.
- 6 people to cook the turkey and ham by 3 pm on Christmas Eve.
- Rolls and butter, corn, paper plates, cups and silverware.
- Milk and pop.
- About 20 Children’s gifts. These do not need to be wrapped, just dropped off at the Parish Center.
NO TIME TO SHOP BUT WANT TO HELP? – You can donate $25.00 and our elves will buy a sweater or food for our dinner! Please make check payable to St. Giles, marked “homeless” and drop off at the Parish Center.
Wishing you a Merry Christmas and a Happy, Healthy New Year!
630 N. Elmwood, Oak Park
708-386-3586 – Home
312-334-7878 – Work
312-848-3998 – Cell