St. Giles Appalachia Service Project is a high school ministry program with the goal of empowering high school students to grow in faith and fellowship as they work together to serve families in Appalachia and bring the richness of their experience back to share with our parish community.
2020 Trip Dates
This year’s trip will be from Saturday, July 18 to Saturday, July 25.
Due to the complex logistics and importance of the work in Appalachia, ALL PARTICIPANTS are expected to be present throughout the ENTIRETY of the trip. We depart Saturday, July 18 at 9 am and return Saturday, July 25 at about 7 pm.
At this point in time, we are full for teen registration, however we do keep a waitlist in the event of teen drop out – to join this list use the link below.
ADULTS, we still need you!! So please consider joining us and register using the same link below.
Welcome to ASP 2020 – Mark your calendars with these important dates!
Our trip and week in Appalachia are very different from our regular lives. Therefore, we hope that each of our formation experiences help to guide and prepare you for this new encounter. Throughout these meetings, we get to know the members of our work crew, grow in our understanding of the spirit of service, and learn about the people of Appalachia and their needs and how we will meet them.
In preparation for the trip, there will be four formation meetings, a skills day, and a commissioning mass. The schedule for these events are below:
- Sunday, November 10 from 6:30 to 7:30 pm in McDonough Hall – Fundraising Meeting (New This Year)
- Sunday, March 8 from 6:30 to 8:30 pm in McDonough Hall – Formation Meeting #1
- Sunday, April 26 from 12 Noon to 6 pm at Triton College – Skills Day (Required for all new participants, recommended for all others)
- Sunday, May 3 from 6:30 to 8:30 pm in McDonough Hall – Formation Meeting #2
- Sunday, June 14 from 6:30 to 8:30 pm in McDonough Hall – Formation Meeting #3
- Sunday, July 12 from 5 to 6 pm in the Church – Commissioning Mass
- Sunday, July 12 from 6 to 7 pm in McDonough Hall – Formation Meeting #4
Location details: McDonough Hall – 1101 Columbian Ave, Oak Park, IL 60302
ASP 2020 Payment Schedule
The total financial commitment for the 2020 ASP trip is $750 per teen. This fee covers room and board for the week (7 nights lodging and 17 meals), cost of van rental, materials to complete home repair, and crew cash. (All meals are included except for the lunch and dinner on Saturday, July 18, lunch on Sunday, July 19 and breakfast on Saturday, July 25).
As we began last year and hope to grow in getting better at, we have a payment schedule to help us all stay on track with the cost of ASP. Missed payments will result in removal from the trip unless other arrangements have been made.
October 31 – $250 (due with registration)
March 1 – $100
May 1 – $200
July 1 – $200
Fees may be paid in advance; ALL FEES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE AFTER THE PAYMENT SCHEDULE DUE DATE.
The initial online payment ($250) is submitted using the ASP Online Registration.
For payment by CHECK, please deliver to the Parish Center (1025 Columbian). All checks should be made out to “St. Giles ASP” and include name of participant on the memo line.
No teen willing and committed to participating will be denied the opportunity due to the financial commitment. If the cost or payment schedule is a barrier to participating, please contact Emily Davis (firstname.lastname@example.org). Any request for assistance is kept private between the coordinator and family/individual.
Fundraising for Your Trip
We have various fundraising programs to help offset the large expense that ASP requires – NEW THIS YEAR, we will have a fundraising meeting to explain each of the fundraisers available for ASP on Sunday, November 10 from 6:30 to 7:30 pm in McDonough Hall – to review all fundraising options and launch some of our projects before the holidays!
However, here is a note about our fundraising policy: If your contributions from your fundraising are received prior to July 1st and exceed the $750 cost, you are eligible for a refund of the additional funds. Funds received after July 1st are non-refundable.
Fundraising Options as discussed on November 10:
- Coffee Sales – Visit this coffee fundraiser webpage link – Each teen receives $10/bag of coffee sold. You are responsible for collecting payment in advance of placing orders AND delivering the coffee to your customers!
- Letter Writing Campaign – Your loved ones (family & friends) can support you and in some way be a part of ASP 2020 by contributing financially to your trip – please reference the documents on the “ASP 2020 Information” panel of this webpage for instructions, sample letters, and the donation form (you must include this if your donors would like a tax receipt) ALL CHECKS MUST BE MADE OUT TO “ST GILES ASP” and ALL FUNDS MUST BE RECEIVED BY JULY 1, 2020
- Restaurant Dates: DATES TO COME (Burger Moovement, Buona, and Lou Malnati’s)
- 3rd ANNUAL ST. GILES YOUTH MINISTRY VARIETY SHOW
- ASP MERCHANDISE: Still working on the details… TBD
Periodically, Emily will send out financial updates with fundraising included. Please be sure we have both teen & parent contact emails so that you are receiving these updates!
To receive Remind text updates on ASP going-ons text “@stgilesasp” to 81010
ASP’s website – www.asphome.org.