TRIP DATES – July 20 to July 27, 2024
St. Giles ASP Service Project has been around for over 20 years. St. Giles ASP is more than a trip to Appalachia to repair buildings – it is a service project built on relationships:
- Meaningful interactions with the families we serve.
- Teamwork among our crews.
- Getting to know and work with ASP Staffers.
- Meeting other folks in the county we serve.
In the best circumstances, this is a tough week, physically, emotionally, mentally, and spiritually – though it is not surprising that many teens count the ASP trip as the best week of their year! It is also an awesome week, having new experiences, meeting some beautiful individuals, getting to know yourself more deeply. Recognize that this is not “Camp ASP” this is a Mission Trip, and participants should expect to experience some conditions that will be outside of their comfort zone!
ASP’s Mission & Vision
Vision – Appalachia Service Project is a Christian ministry, open to all people, that inspires hope and service through volunteer home repair and replacement in Central Appalachia.
Mission – Appalachia Service Project envisions the eradication of substandard housing in Central Appalachia and the transformation of everyone who comes in contact with this ministry.
ASP’s Volunteer Covenant
As a Volunteer, I agree:
- To familiarize myself with and abide by ASP’s Expectations, Rules and Regulations, Anti-Harassment Policy, and dress code.
- To work safely and report to the staff any behavior or situation that I deem unsafe.
- To be open-minded and work to build meaningful relationships with the homeowners I serve and interact appropriately with community members and other groups at my center.
- To utilize resources in a stewardly fashion.
- To maintain a clean facility by completing the chores assigned to my group.
Formation for ASP 2024
ASP is a big commitment – there are many other things going on in each of our lives. However, ASP is a commitment that you are choosing to join. As such, once you complete the registration, you are committing to be present, involved and responsive in the work of trip preparation.
Our trip and week in Appalachia are very different from our regular lives. Therefore, we hope that each of our formation experiences help to guide and prepare you for this new encounter. Throughout these meetings, we get to know the members of our work crew, grow in our understanding of the spirit of service, and learn about the people of Appalachia and their needs and how we will meet them.
There will be four formation meetings, a skills day, and a commissioning mass.
ATTENDANCE AT FORMATION MEETINGS IS MANDATORY.
Schedule – Location: McDonough Hall – 1101 Columbian Ave, Oak Park, IL 60302
- Formation Meeting # 1 – Sunday, January 21, 2024, 6:30 pm
- Formation Meeting # 2 – Sunday, March 3, 2024, 6:30 pm
- Formation Meeting # 3 – Sunday, May 5, 2024, 6:30 pm
- Formation Meeting # 4 – Sunday, June 9, 2024, 6:30 pm
- Final Preparation Meeting – Sunday, July 14, 2024, 6:00 pm
- Sunday July 14, 2024 – 5:00 pm Commissioning Mass,
- Skills Day – June 9, 2024 (Mandatory for all teen leaders and new participants, strongly recommended for all others)
Financial Commitment for Teens
The total financial commitment for the 2024 ASP trip is $775 per teen. This fee covers room and board for the week (7 nights lodging and 17 meals), cost of van rental, materials to complete home repair, etc. All meals are included except for the lunch and dinner on Saturday of departure, lunch on Sunday following departure and breakfast on Saturday of return trip. We estimate each teen spends about $100 on those meals as well as ice cream during the week of ASP.
There are many ways you can work to fundraise for your trip. We will provide fundraising opportunities as well as tools on this website and during meetings.
We have created a payment schedule that must be met to participate in the 2024 trip. All fees are non-refundable after each due date.
- Initial registration – $275 (due with registration)
- February 1, 2024 – $250
- June 1, 2024 – $250
Sibling Discounts – If 2 siblings register for the trip, a parent’s registration cost is $0, or if a parent is not registering, then each sibling’s trip fee will be discounted to $675 (from $775).
If your contributions from your fundraising are received prior to July 1, 2024 and exceed the $775 cost, you are eligible for a refund of the additional funds. Funds received after July 1, 2024 are non-refundable.
No teen willing and committed to participating will be denied the opportunity due to the financial commitment. If the cost or payment schedule is a barrier to participating, please contact Chris Goetz at email@example.com as soon as possible. Any request for assistance is kept private.
Role of Adult Leader
This trip would not be possible without the generosity of our Adult Leaders’ time and talent, who co-partner to lead work crews. If your teen is planning to attend, this is a wonderful opportunity to have a truly memorable shared service experience with them as an adult participant. Please note that parents and their teen will reside at the same center but will be assigned to separate work crews.
The role of an adult leader on ASP is critical to the success of our trip.
As an adult leader, you can expect to:
- Support your teen leader in their role as leader, communicator, and organizer of your crew before, during, and after the trip.
- Encourage inclusivity by making every teen feel warmly welcomed, valued, and appreciated.
- Communicate effectively with center staffers regarding construction projects, evening programming, and other ASP logistics.
- Build a community with your crew by fully engaging in the ASP trip from the start of the formation process to the end of the trip – your attendance is critical in supporting the bonding of your crew.
- Embrace the simple life that is core to ASP – challenging yourself to be flexible with the simple food, activities, and chance to unplug from the technology that so often takes over our lives at home.
- Share your skills – construction, interpersonal, and leadership – but also be willing to learn and grow from those around you!
- Ensure safety by making sure your crew is safe and is following the ASP safety guidelines on and off the work site.
- Be present and supportive of the growth and transformation of the members of your crew.
- HAVE FUN being part of this unique community that build strong, authentic, and lasting relationships!
Financial Commitment for Adult Leaders
The total financial commitment for the 2024 ASP trip is $275 per adult. This fee is due at registration and no other payments will be expected prior to the trip. In addition, you will need to pay for the following meals: lunch & dinner on Saturday of departure, lunch on Sunday following departure & breakfast on Saturday of the return trip. We estimate adults spend about $100+ on those meals as well as ice cream during the week of ASP.
No adult willing and committed to participating will be denied the opportunity due to the financial commitment. If the cost is a barrier to participating, please contact Chris Goetz at firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible. Any request for assistance is kept private.
2024 ASP Registration
ASP Registration for Teens is NOW CLOSED!
Communication and Coordination
There is nothing more effective than having our ASP group on the same page and moving towards the same life-changing goals. To adequately prepare for this trip together, communication and coordination is key.
- Our primary methods of communication will be email, texts and Flocknotes. Please be sure to check regularly for any updates about our trip, your individual status, and any changes that may arise.
- All changes, updates, and information will be posted on this ASP page.
- Please contact Chris Goetz at email@example.com if you have any questions or concerns.
ASP Donations and Payments
Please help support ASP! – We appreciate any support, if you’d rather donate directly to ASP at St. Catherine of Siena – St. Lucy and St. Giles click on this link:
REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED FOR OUR 2022 TRIP!
Registration is due with a $275 non-refundable registration fee for ALL participants.
For over 20 years, adults and teens from this community have been working together in fellowship and home repair to make homes in Central Appalachia warmer, safer, and drier!
In February, we will begin formation experiences that help to guide and prepare you for this new encounter. At these meetings, we get to know the members of our work crew, grow in our understanding of the spirit of service, and learn about the people of Appalachia and their needs and how we will meet them. In preparation for the trip, there will be four formation meetings, a skills day, and a commissioning mass.
Meeting Times: 6:30 pm
Location: McDonough Hall – 1101 Columbian Ave, Oak Park, IL 60302
- Formation Meeting #1 – Sunday, February 27
- Formation Meeting #2 – Sunday, April 3
- Skills Day – Weekend morning-afternoon in April – TBA (Required for all new participants, recommended for all others)
- Formation Meeting #3 – Sunday, June 26
- Commissioning Mass – Sunday, July 17 at 5 pm
- Formation Meeting #4 – Sunday, July 17
2022 TRIP DETAILS
The trip will be held from Saturday, July 23 through Saturday, July 30, 2022. We depart on a Saturday at 8 am and return the following Saturday at about 7:30 pm.
Teen participants must be currently in high-school. Current 8th graders, who will be entering high school are not eligible to apply for St. Giles ASP.
Adult Leaders must be over the age of 25 and with a valid drivers license.
To reserve your spot, please complete the online application and submit your payment. Details are provided in application!
If you have been on ASP before and are interested in applying to be a teen leader, the application on the Google form below will be available by November 1st and need to be completed by December 1st.