Confirmation is the sacrament during which we say “Yes” to the Holy Spirit: during this sacrament the Spirit seals the gifts and graces we received at Baptism, giving us the strength to walk ever more closely with Christ, fulfilling Christ’s mission for us. This is a special sacrament most often celebrated at a crucial developmental time in a teenager’s life.
The Confirmation preparation program is designed to enable the candidate’s awakening of their spiritual relationship with Christ. Most teenagers begin preparation for Confirmation in middle school. Prior to specific preparation for the sacrament, each candidate prepares for at least one year through their regular formation within the Religious Education programs or through their parish school. The middle school programs focus deeply on the person of Jesus Christ and provide the opportunity for students to gain a deeper knowledge of who Jesus Christ was, is, and will be for them.
Then, in their second year of preparation (most often beginning in the fall of the candidate’s 8th grade year), specific preparation for the sacrament of Confirmation begins. During this year, the candidates will experience:
- Small faith groups, meeting approximately once a month, that will allow the teen space and guidance to reflect on and grow in their relationship with Jesus Christ and His Mission for them.
- Retreat time, which will give the candidates opportunities to experience the Holy Spirit, deep prayer, reflection and relationship building!
- Service and special prayer opportunities which will develop the habits of prayer, discipleship, and service to others.
The candidate’s family and chosen Sponsor will support each teen in their discernment. The Sacrament of Confirmation is then celebrated in the spring of the candidate’s 8th grade year. Each family may register for Confirmation preparation at either Ascension and St. Edmund Parish, St Catherine of Siena-St. Lucy and St Giles Parish, or the Family Mass Community. There will also be an opportunity to choose at which church your family prefers to celebrate the Sacrament.
- Baptism in the Catholic faith
- In 8th Grade or older in 2023-2024
- Completed a full year of religious formation through a Catholic church program in the previous year and current year
- Celebrated the Sacraments of First Communion and First Reconciliation
- If the above requirements are met, the candidate will be eligible to celebrate Confirmation in Spring 2024
If you feel that your child and family are ready to prepare to celebrate a Sacrament, but have concerns or questions about the eligibility requirements, please reach out to the Sacrament Coordinators.
- Terri Monaco – firstname.lastname@example.org (Ascension Campus)
- Alex Ryan – email@example.com (St. Giles Campus)
To cover preparation materials and program costs, there is a Confirmation sacrament fee of $90 in addition to the religious education program or parish school tuition. If you require financial assistance, please reach out to 708-434-1554.
A formal registration for Confirmation will be emailed to families by mid-September along with a link for payment.