We are united with Jesus in a unique way in the Sacrament of First Communion. First Communion is a joyful step in your journey of faith! First Communion preparation supports the candidates and families as they deepen their relationship with Jesus, guides them towards an understanding of what happens during Mass, and prepares them to participate more fully in the faith life of their parish.
The Sacrament of Reconciliation is a gift of healing, so nothing holds us back from experiencing union with Christ through Eucharist. Your child will prepare for and experience their First Reconciliation as part of the First Communion Program.
Most children are ready to celebrate their First Communion in the spring of their second-grade year. Children preparing to celebrate First Communion in second grade most often begin their formation at the start of their first-grade year through their religious education program or religion curriculum in their parish school. Then, in their second year of preparation, children enrolled in religious education and the parish schools prepare more intensely for the Sacrament. If a child is ready for celebration of the sacraments after their second-grade year, we will work with each family to determine the best preparation process.
During the year of specific preparation for First Communion, each family will experience:
- First Communion and Reconciliation Retreats: These retreats are a time of activities and reflection about the sacraments, experienced by parents and children together.
- Specific Activities at home: As the primary catechists of their children, parents are invited to play an active role in their child’s formation by completing in-home activities with their child, which deepens both the parents’ and the child’s understanding of the Eucharist and the Mass.
- Sessions exploring the Mass: These sessions dive into the different activities we do at Mass, exploring them and allowing the children to experience the materials and environments of the Mass in a special way.
- Special Group Activities Exploring the Eucharist: Gold Book Together Sessions and Bread Baking Retreat
Each family may register for First Communion and First Reconciliation preparation at either Ascension and St. Edmund Parish, St Catherine of Siena-St. Lucy and St Giles Parish, or the Family Mass Community. There will also be an opportunity to choose which church your family prefers to celebrate the Sacrament.
- Baptism in the Catholic faith
- In 2nd Grade or above in 2023-2024
- Completed a full year of religious formation through a Catholic church program in the previous year and current year
- If the above requirements are met, the candidate will be eligible to celebrate Confirmation in Spring 2024
If you feel that your child and family are ready to prepare to celebrate a Sacrament, but have concerns or questions about the eligibility requirements, please reach out to the Sacrament Coordinators.
- Terri Monaco – email@example.com (Ascension Campus)
- Alex Ryan – firstname.lastname@example.org (St. Giles Campus)
To cover preparation materials and program costs, there is a Confirmation sacrament fee of $80 in addition to the religious education program or parish school tuition. If you require financial assistance, please reach out to 708-434-1554.
A formal First Communion registration will be emailed to families by mid-September along with a link for payment.