The Catechesis of the Good Shepherd is an approach to the religious formation of children in PreK through 6th grade (ages 3 to 12 years of age). It is rooted in the Bible, the liturgy of the church, and the educational principles of Maria Montessori. Children gather with catechists in an “atrium”, a room prepared for them, which contains simple yet beautiful materials they use to help them absorb the most essential proclamations of the Christian faith.
The atrium is divided into three levels of formation under these general guidelines:
- Level I – 3 to 6 years of age (PreK to K) – Sessions in 2022-2023 will be on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 4 to 5:15 pm and Saturdays from 10 to 11:15 am – This level Atrium is located in the Parish Center.
- Level II – 6 to 9 years of age (1st to 3rd grades) – Sessions in 2022-2023 will be on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 4 to 5:15 pm and from 6 to 7:15 pm and Saturdays from 10 to 11:15 am – This level Atrium is located in the Parish Center.
- Level III – 9 to 12 years of age (4th to 6th grades) – Sessions in 2022-2023 will be on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 4 to 5:15 pm and from 6 to 7:15 pm and Saturdays from 10 to 11:15 am – This level Atrium is located on the first floor of the Gleeson Building.
- See calendars on the sidebar of this page – CGS Information 2022-2023
Students also receive formation for the reception of the Sacraments of Reconciliation, Eucharist and Confirmation at the appropriate age and readiness through the parish Sacrament Preparation program. The formation for all sacraments includes students and their parents in a multi-generational setting which fosters prayer, formation, and service throughout their preparation process. For Sacrament Formation information, please contact Alex Ryan at firstname.lastname@example.org or 708-383-3430 x 403.
What is the atrium really like? Many of you have had the opportunity to be in the atrium with the children either as a catechist, assistant or visiting parent. For those who haven’t yet had this opportunity, take a few minutes to watch this video from The National Association of CGS. The voices of the current and former children of the atrium mirror many of the comments and reflections we catechists get to share on a weekly basis.
To learn more about our CGS Program, please contact Peggy Plastina, at email@example.com or 708-383-3430 x 408.
You are invited to become a catechist of the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd – No experience is necessary except for an open heart and a willingness to share your faith with the future of our Church. At monthly meetings catechists receive the presentations that the children will receive the following month. There is ongoing support in a community of caring women and men with the same desire to walk with our children on their faith journey – and a perk of being a catechist is that if your child is in the program there will be a 50% reduction in their tuition – CLICK HERE for registration information.
To become part of this community of catechists, or if you have any questions, please contact:
- Peggy Plastina, Coordinator, Catechesis of the Good Shepherd – firstname.lastname@example.org, 708-383-3430 x 408
- Rachel Faulman, Assistant Coordinator Catechesis of the Good Shepherd – email@example.com , 708-383-3430 x 401
- Mary Ellen Lesniak, Catechesis Liaison for the Family Mass Community – firstname.lastname@example.org, 708-565-9401
Visit the National Association of CGS website at www.cgsusa.org.